Elite Beet + Hemp Bites
I am nine weeks deep into ultra training, which means the nutrition plan experiments continue. One thing that has become a favorite is this Hemp + Coffee Chia Pudding. There have been runs that I couldn’t fully prepare for, so I opted for something packaged and quick. Those runs also ended up with energy crashes, hunger, and GI issues. Yuck! The best way to train and be properly fueled is to plan ahead! When I’m on a long run, I want my food to be bite-sized, easy to chew, and moist enough that it doesn’t leave my mouth feeling dry.
A batch of these Elite Beet + Hemp Bites are perfect for carrying in a vest or belt and are the perfect size to pop in your mouth. Dates contain 50% more potassium (by weight) than bananas, which is great for muscle recovery. The Hemp Hearts from Manitoba Harvest are a powerful addition to this snack. The amount used in this recipe contains 10 grams of plant-based protein and 10 grams of omega-3 and omega-6. How’s THAT for fuel?! BAM!
- 3 cups dates
- 1 tablespoon beet powder
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts (plus extra for topping)
- Place dates in food processor. Pulse and blend until a paste-like consistency.
- Add rolled oats, beet powder, and 3 tablespoons of hemp hearts, pulse until well-blended.
- Sprinkle extra hemp hearts into a bowl.
- Scoop out mixture with a spoon and roll into a ball, about 1 inch in size.
- Roll the ball into the bowl of hemp hearts to cover the outside. Repeat until all mixture is used, making about 20 balls.